LEGO HOUSE 4

By Simi - Tuesday, March 13, 2018

18th February doubled as my birthday and my mum's remembrance. My 19th birthday was supposed to make me super elated being that I was a year closer to leaving teenage hood but it didn't. Instead it brought about the reality of me living and leaving teenage hood without my mother. The circumstances surrounding her death still left me in shock even after 7 years.
      " Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you.... " Myra started singing, her horrible voice making me cover my ears with my pillow.
Propping on her elbow, Gozie began to tickle me causing me to scream and wiggle in laughter.
"Okay...o..kay...I love your voice Myra and you guys are...Leave me alone" I shouted at Gozie, "the best" I continued.
"How did all these people know today's my birthday, I barely speak to 10 out of all of them", I said in amazement as I scrolled through my text messages and WhatsApp messages. "  Ahnahn...See unknown numbers using my pictures as their DPs. Gozie, Myra.." I said whilst darting my eyes from one to the other "Did you guys have anything to do with these people knowing?"
     "Lima, you're in 200L now and you're one of the top 5 finest girls in your department. You're also the most brilliant person in your class. Scratch the fact that you barely relate with people, they know enough about you already" explained Myra . "More like positive stalking" she shrugged.
  At the mention of the word stalk, I froze on the bed. They both noticed the change in my mood and they began to ask questions.
"Lima!!! Xywhbskitfvnakyzmsokm....."
I had zoned out already
No!! Leave me!! The echoes started flooding my memory.

"Halima! Halima!!" Gozie called out to me while tapping me lightly on my shoulders. "Are you okay?"
"Ohh....I'm fine", trying to sound convincing
" We'd discuss this later Lima, but right now, we're gonna be discussing how we'd celebrate your pre-adulthood age" quipped Myra.

"I can't celebrate this birthday, I just can't" I said. "Remember today makes it 7 years since my mum died" I added causing the room to be tensed.
"Lima, you don't have to go around with this burden, you aren't gonna keep living like this yunno?" She said hugging me tightly causing Myra to join in the embrace.
   The tears I had been holding in for so long began to pour, anger as to why my dad didn't stay with my mum that day, to why the hospital didn't keep trying, then to why I hadn't just stayed that weekend to see her for the last time.
"Your mum is gone and is never coming back. If she were to be alive, she'd want you to live today to its fullest" whispered Myra.
"Don't let the fears and hurt from your past win Lima. You deserve to be loved and to be happy. Don't forget that". Gozie pulled back and smiled at me and I smiled back, nodding as her words sank in.
   
    I could see the concern and love in their eyes and I was grateful for haying them.
" Okay" I said sniffing "I hear you guys"
"Please, please, please, this is not an American movie where my friends would cluster around me and start showing me 'yeye' love" I said causing Myra to poke me in my stomach.
"That's it.. My stomach hurts, I'm going nowhere today" I said faking pain
"Even if it requires us bringing an ambulance to this hostel ehn" Gozie said
" We'd make sure you leave this hostel" they said in unison.

                  ************
They wanted it to just be the three of us hanging out but I insisted on Myra inviting her boyfriend to drive us. So Wole, Myra's boyfriend drove us to Coldstone Ikeja.
  After making our orders and paying for them. I was about to start devouring my ice cream right there when a guy walked up to us and asked "You're a tall drink of water, aren't you?" His gaze lingering on Gozie sliding down to her butt. He said some other stuffs that I didn't pay attention to. He was good- looking but his delivery was cocky and almost slimy.
     Gozie, who knew almost about every pickup line in the book, rolled her eyes at I and Myra before turning to the guy "I'm six foot Mister unknown and I don't play basketball so don't ask"
She looked at the guy from down to up "Definitely above your monthly pay, dude, so don't even try, okay?"
       Three of us turned without another word and went up front, risking a laugh as we went outside.
" You should be nicer to guys, Gozie" I admonished though I continued laughing.
"Oh, please, I can't even count the times you shut a guy down cold, sometimes before he even finished his line" Gozie replied, waving a hand to flag down a taxi.
" Come on, girlfriend, let's go make today memorable" She hooked her arms through mine and Myra's almost causing the pizza Myra was carrying to fall.
"Still ICM right? Myra asked Gozie as the taxi stopped in front of us.
" ICM it is" She replied as we stepped into the taxi.

       °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
I'm so loving Gozie's character🙌🙌🙌
Please, don't forget to share and comment.
Thank you

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments